[DIFLnews] Florida Destination Imagination News

Florida DI News diflnews at floridadi.org
Fri Oct 13 00:28:47 UTC 2017

Greetings!  I hope everyone is doing well and recovered from Irma.

A reminder, if you are planning to do DI this year, you should get started sooner rather than later, to give your team their best chance to achieve their solution.  As a returning team, go to  <http://www.destinationimagination.org> www.destinationimagination.org to purchase your membership number to get started.

If you are a team new to Florida, I invite you to take advantage of the special discount program DII is offering this season.  You can go to our website   <http://www.floridadi.org> www.floridadi.org for more information on the offer and for tips on starting your team.

I would like to share the following invitation for student inventors from DII (please note the very short timeframe –October 20 for submissions):

This morning we were made aware of an exciting opportunity available for student innovators and inventors that we're hoping you'll share with your local DI communities. The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon has a special segment coming up called "Fallonventions" where students in K-12 submit a clever, fun and visual invention and if selected, present their prototype on The Tonight Show for the opportunity to win $5k.

Below you'll find additional details on next steps for submission and specifics on what they're looking for. Teams of up to 7 are eligible, we checked 😀

Feel free to reach out to any and all DI participants that you think would be a great fit, but please DO NOT share this opportunity via social media (NBC has a strict policy against social solicitation for this segment). Email or direct contact would be best.

This is a quick turnaround but they do plan to host this segment again in the near future so if the timing doesn't work out, there will actually be a next time. Don't hesitate to reach out to David Garcia (casting producer of The Tonight Show, contact info below) with any questions. Good luck!

Here's how to submit an invention to the show:
Make a short video (around 60 seconds or shorter) that showcases the inventor and invention. Keep it simple. No need for music, voice-over, graphics, special effects, or text. Keep edits to a minimum. Do it in a quiet location with good lighting. You can use a smartphone - make sure the videographer holds it horizontally (landscape), and not vertically (portrait).

Make sure the inventor says/does the following things in the video:
--Name, Age, Hometown
--Invention Name
--Demonstrate the Invention. We want to see it working!

Upload the video to YouTube and email the link to David Garcia at "The Tonight Show" ( <mailto:davidtonightshow at gmail.com> davidtonightshow at gmail.com). You can mark your YouTube video as "Unlisted" to protect your privacy (so it can't be seen by anyone who doesn't have the link). Unfortunately, we cannot accept videos sent as email attachments.

Make sure the email you send includes the following info:
--Inventor's name, age, hometown, grade
--Invention name
--Parent name, phone number, email address (if it’s a team of inventors, please designate one parent to be point of contact and only send that contact info)
--Link to YouTube video
--Has the inventor been on TV before? Tell us more!
--Has the inventor entered any contests/competitions or won any awards with this invention? Tell us about them!

DEADLINE: MONDAY OCTOBER 20, 2017
While we will consider every submission that we receive, we may not be able to personally respond to all of them. Thank you for submitting!

As always, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have ( <mailto:difl.info at yahoo.com> difl.info at yahoo.com).

Cheers!

Erica Bowler

Affiliate Director