[DIFLnews] Florida Destination Imagination November Newsletter

Florida DI News diflnews at floridadi.org
Tue Nov 20 17:05:52 UTC 2018

DI Season is Underway!

Can you believe it's November?  Time is flying by. If your Team is just now
getting started, don't worry, it's still early. It's time for you to create
a Goals Calendar with your Team.  This will help your team stay focused and
use solid project management principles to stay on target for the season.
Have them mark on a calendar when they think they should be finished with
major parts of their solution- script, costumes, props, technical devices,
etc. Pull that calendar out at every meeting and talk about how long they
have to get things done. Ask if anybody wants to work on certain aspects on
their own and bring them back in at a future meeting.

Remember that kids have their own way of looking at the world, and getting
them to focus can be a challenge, especially younger teams who have not had
to work with others on a long term project.  This can be very frustrating
for you an adult, especially if they might get stuck in the "storming" stage
of team development, or lose sight of their goals.  Refer to the Roadmap,
DII blogs and Team Manager trainings for some ideas of how to help your team
past some of these roadblocks, and realize that your team may have to
readjust their goals (or you may have to readjust your thinking of what they
"should" accomplish) and that it is okay.  Our Florida tournament is
conducted as a celebration of what your teams have accomplished, and we work
very hard to make sure our appraisers understand that.

Online Team Manager Training Available

In addition to the Adobe training offered by Destination Imagination
headquarters, our California Affiliate of Destination Imagination has posted
several wonderful online videos of their team manager training session.
These are great refresher courses, or excellent for new team managers. You
can find the videos
<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=a355d227c5&e=cdf241c009> here. We would like your feedback on these videos,
so please drop us a note at  <mailto:difl.info at yahoo.com>
difl.info at yahoo.com if you use any of these

Are you looking for more help to be a successful team manager?  If so, check
out
<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=ba8dab6785&e=cdf241c009> Destination Imagination's blog post.  The blog is
full of helpful tips on how to be the ultimate facilitator for your team.

<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=5cff41daa4&e=cdf241c009> California Destination Imagination has shared some
webinars that they have created for each of the Challenges. These are really
worth your time to dive deeper into the Challenge that your Team is doing.

Don't Forget to Practice Instant Challenge!

Instant Challenge counts for 25% of your Team's total score at Tournament.
Teams should practice IC at every meeting! The Roadmap that came with your
Program Materials is full of great Instant Challenges. You will also find a
set of Practice Instant Challenges in the DI Resource Area. There is a set
of Practice IC's in the
<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=e85a667761&e=cdf241c009>  Resource Area, and more can be found
<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=8af3903fa5&e=cdf241c009> here.

Keep up with Clarifications

Please check frequently for published Clarifications.  There is a published
clarification for the technical challenge "On Target", so make sure you
review it if your team is working on that challenge.  Clarifications can be
found
<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=074371cdde&e=cdf241c009> here.  You will also find procedures there for
asking for a Team Clarification if your Team has a question that they feel
is not covered in the Challenge or in the Published Clarifications. If you
ask for a Team Clarification, the answer is shared only with you and is not
made public, so don't worry that another Team might see your idea and put it
to their use.

Tournament Volunteers Needed

A great group of Volunteers is essential to a successful Tournament.  The
appraiser can be any adult, over 18 years old (and not in high school) - a
parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, friend or teacher. We can't hold a
tournament without these most critical volunteers. If you know of someone
who would like to know more about the program, appraising is a great way to
get informed.  Most of our training is done online, with final instructions
done the morning of our tournament.  Volunteer registration is open and can
be done through  <http://www.floridadi.org> www.floridadi.org VOLUNTEER
REGISTRATION.

Pin Contest Deadline

Remember that the deadline for pin and tee shirt design submissions is
December 1.  If anyone associated with your team has been working on a
design, they need to get it submitted.  Go to our mainpage
<http://www.floridadi.org> www.floridadi.org PIN CONTEST for more
information about the contest.

Team Tournament Registrations

Please register your team challenge selection with Destination Imagination.
Knowing what challenges you are working on, helps Destination Imagination
and us at Florida DI with our tournament planning.  Remember that you need
to register with both DII and Florida DI.  Our Florida tournament
registration is now open, so that you can start to enter your team's
information for us as well.  You may change any information on your
registrations for us until registration closes on January 31.

Important Dates

Florida Tournament Registration closes January 31, 2019.

Florida DI tournament in Maitland Saturday, March 30, 2019.

Global Finals tournament in Kansas City, Missouri May 22 through 25, 2019

We wish you safe travels this holiday season, and wonderful celebrations
with family and friends!

Erica Bowler

Affiliate Director

Florida Destination Imagination