[DIFLnews] Florida Destination Imagination August Newsletter

Florida DI News diflnews at floridadi.org
Wed Aug 14 22:30:59 UTC 2019

Greetings!  We hope you have had relaxing summer and are gearing up for an
exciting school year including Florida Destination Imagination.

We are happy to announce that Timothy Herlihy, Jr. has joined us on the
Florida Affiliate Board.  He is our Recording Secretary, and is trying
really hard to educate our older board members on using Social Media.

Our participant's safety is of paramount importance to Destination
Imagination (DI) as well as Florida DI.  DI has published a Youth Protection
Policy (YPP) document, that all of our volunteers will be required to
acknowledge.  This document is available at DI Youth Protection Policy
<https://dihq.app.box.com/s/kc8qgo9ppm1pbjaembl0ywh1fuj4re3u> .  For other
interested adults we have Youth Protection Information for Parents
<https://dihq.app.box.com/s/a8nig9hsygvj3vo4slnl1t331kxhc1mi> . As part of
this initiative, all Team Managers will be required to have a background
check.  We are in the process of defining what will be accepted as part of
our requirement in Florida, and will provide at least one company to do a
check as well as some alternate acceptable methods.

Florida DI is ready to help you prepare for the coming season. To get you
started, visit our website at www.floridadi.org <http://www.floridadi.org>
or our Florida DI facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/FloridaDI> . These
sites will provide you with the most up-to-date information about
Destination Imagination in Florida. You can also go to
www.destinationimagination.org <http://www.destinationimagination.org>  for
general information about DI as well as to purchase your team number.

Check out our Challenge Previews at 2019-20 Challenge Previews
<https://www.destinationimagination.org/challenge-program/2019-20-challenge-
previews/> . From there you can view a video about each challenge and a
short preview. First Look will give you more in-depth information about each
challenges. Remember that the First Look is only a synopsis.  You must
select your challenge in order to receive the full requirements for that
challenge. The full challenges are available now.

<https://gadi.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=983ea8d89da8441460e8a9b20&id
=2ff782bf8a&e=cdf241c009> Start a Team, purchase your Team Number ($105
each).  There will also be a $100.00 added Florida DI affiliate fee.  Make
sure that you enter a Team Manager as soon as you can, even if it is
yourself.  That will enable you will receive an e-mail containing your Team
Number(s) and instructions to access online training and materials,
including the Roadmap. At this time, there are several New Manager trainings
available, and shortly there will be a Child Protection training module
available that all Team Managers will need to complete to be certified as a
Team Manager.

The Roadmap is your guide as you navigate your Team through the DI Challenge
Experience to Tournaments. The Roadmap contains Instant Challenges and
activities to use during your meetings. You can adapt practice challenges to
utilize materials you have on hand. If you devise a really cool Instant
Challenge, we would love to hear of it.

All materials will be only available in digital format. Destination
Imagination Inc. (DII) will no longer mail printed materials to teams.  This
was done for environmental reasons as well as financial.

Our 2020 tournament will be held at Park Maitland School, Maitland, Florida
on March 28, 2019.  We thank Park Maitland School for their continued
support of Florida DI.

Not sure yet about starting a team?  You are invited to join us at upcoming
events at Melrose Center (Orlando) for "Technoween" October 13, or the
Orlando Maker Faire Novmber 9 & 10 to "TRY DI".

Can't wait that long?  Contact us about holding your own "Try DI"event.  You
provide a space and some participants and if we can work out volunteers, we
will bring materials for you to try your hand at one of our Instant
Challenges (and talk about our STEAM and project based educational
experience!).

Make sure you visit our Twitter <https://twitter.com/Diffle_DIFL>  page
where you can find jokes that Diffle (our flamingo mascot) likes, as well
challenge information.  Our Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/DI_Florida/>  page has puzzles, challenges and
information. Check out our Florida DI facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/FloridaDI>  for our monthly Instant Challenge.
These are great practice for teams and fun for others.  We hope that you
will send us photos of your solutions to these challenges.

We want everyone to have an awesome start to the new season.  So, is there
anything Florida DI can provide to assist you in starting teams?  We can get
you posters, flyers, stickers, PowerPoint presentations, DI introduction
videos, etc.  (If you check out MARKETING, in the STORE you can get an idea
of what is available). These materials can be used for your
Registration/Sign-up, Orientation, Open House, Meet and Greet and/or other
Back to School Events.  Just drop us a note, and we'll make arrangements to
get you the materials.  If you would like us to come to do an event, please
let me know.  We have long time DI participants who live in different areas
of the state, so we might be able to work something out.

Remember, we're just an email away at difl.info at yahoo.com
<mailto:difl.info at yahoo.com>  Please do not hesitate to ask for assistance.
We are here to see you succeed as Team Managers and School Coordinators! We
look forward to working with each and every one of you.

Best Wishes!

Erica Bowler

Affiliate Director

DIFL.info at yahoo.com <mailto:DIFL.info at yahoo.com>