[DIFLnews] September Newsletter

Florida DI News diflnews at floridadi.org
Mon Sep 16 22:51:10 UTC 2019

Happy September!  I hope that everyone is settled into their schooling
routine, and ready to work on cool long term STEAM projects.

Into "Marvel" and Superpowers?  Take a look at our Improv challenge - "To
the Rescue" and research how superpowers are used in different media.  Of
course there will be a villain with a superpower. Your hero will have an
underwhelming power to try to overcome them.

How about photography?  In our Fine Arts challenge, an unseen character will
have an impact on your selected photograph, which will be theatrically
represented.  You will use a photographic technique to create a visual
effect that will change a character's point of view.

For our Engineers, design a bridge made of cards that you will assemble on
site.  Test its strength by moving weight across the bridge, and tell a
story about unexpected connections.

In telling us about your project that meets a real community need for our
Service Learning challenge, your story will have a character in a race
against time.  You'll include a device that represents time & highlights
project milestones.

The "Big Fix" is in.  Inventors, design and build an invention to solve a
problem.  Integrate an artifact to highlight your development process.  Your
scenery will show the impact of your solution.

Interested in biology and ecology? Research a real species and habitat for
our "First Encounter" scientific challenge.  Your presentation of the
species first encounter with the habitat and how they are both changed will
be done "in the round".

Rising Stars (early learners: preschool - 2nd grade) will have a "Blast-Off"
this year as they present a performance that tells us about something
surprising that happens on their way from one planet to another.  Oh yes,
you will launch a rocket and create a puppet to help you tell your tale.

To get a better idea of what each of these challenges entails, go to
Challenge Previews
<https://www.destinationimagination.org/challenge-program/2019-20-challenge-
previews/> , and for more in depth information, download the First Look
documents.

Challenges are available now. To purchase your team number and have access
to the Challenges (and all the supporting materials), you can do so at Start
a Team
<https://www.destinationimagination.org/challenge-program/start-a-team/> .
Challenge materials are $105.00 and the Florida Affiliate fee is $100.00.
Destination Imagination is paperless, so all materials will be sent
electronically as soon as you purchase them.

Once you purchase your team membership, you will have access to the DI
learning system, with training modules in different aspects of our program,
as well as the RoadMap, a guide for Team Managers to help you conduct
meetings and guide your teams through the creative learning process.

If you would like more information, check out Parents Start Here
<https://www.destinationimagination.org/parents-start-here/>  or Educators
Start Here <https://www.destinationimagination.org/educators-start-here/>

To help you in your efforts to inform your parents about DI, feel free to
share this video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3JlNZtVXFg&feature=youtu.be>

HELP WANTED:  In order to fulfill financial obligations, and to keep our
Florida Affiliate costs as affordable as we can, we must find other
financial backers.  Our current Board of Directors is experienced in
presenting a tournament but we do not have the skillset needed for
grant-writing, or solicitation of larger donors.  If you have an interest in
helping to promote DI in Florida and would like to join us in our efforts,
please contact me at difl.info at yahoo.com <mailto:difl.info at yahoo.com> .  Our
board meetings are mainly held virtually, so you could be situated anywhere
in the state and still be involved.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Are you an Amazon shopper?  If you are, please consider shopping through the
Amazon Smile <https://smile.amazon.com/>  program and designating Florida
Destination Imagination as your charity.  A donation would be credited to us
each time you make a purchase.

If you have a connection to a company that might have an interest in
sponsoring Florida DI in any way, we would love to hear about them!

Our 2020 tournament will be held at Park Maitland School in Maitland on
March 28.  We are so appreciative of our friends at Park Maitland for
inviting us back.

Staying connected: Our Florida DI <http://www.floridadi.org/>  page has
links to other resources. Make sure you visit our
<https://twitter.com/Diffle_DIFL> Twitter page where you can find jokes that
Diffle (our flamingo mascot) likes, as well challenge information.  Our
<https://www.instagram.com/DI_Florida/> Instagram page has puzzles,
challenges and information. Check out our
<https://www.facebook.com/FloridaDI> Florida DI facebook page for our
monthly Instant Challenge.  These are great practice for teams and fun for
others.  We hope that you will send us photos of your solutions to these
challenges.

If you are in the Orlando area, come see us as "Technoween
<https://www.ocls.info/technoween> " at Melrose Center  October 13, and
"Save the Spiders" by building a bridge, "Build a Bug" or create an skeleton
using "Dem Bones".

You can also join us at the  Orlando Maker Faire
<https://www.makerfaireorlando.com/>  November 9 & 10.

We want everyone to have an awesome start to the new season.  So, is there
anything Florida DI can provide to assist you in starting teams?  We can get
you posters, flyers, stickers, PowerPoint presentations, DI introduction
videos, etc.  (If you check out MARKETING
<https://www.destinationimagination.org/challenge-program/marketing-material
s> , in the STORE you can get an idea of what is available). These materials
can be used for your Registration/Sign-up, Orientation, Open House, Meet and
Greet and/or other Back to School Events.  Just drop us a note, and we'll
make arrangements to get you the materials.  If you would like us to come to
do an event, please let me know.  We have long time DI participants who live
in different areas of the state, so we might be able to work something out.

Remember, we're just an email away at  <mailto:difl.info at yahoo.com>
difl.info at yahoo.com Please do not hesitate to ask for assistance. We are
here to see you succeed as Team Managers and School Coordinators! We look
forward to working with each and every one of you.

Best Wishes!

Erica Bowler

Affiliate Director

Florida Destination Imagination