In order to provide the highest level of safety for our participants, Florida Destination Imagination, Inc. requires all Team Managers to undergo a background check. Based on current best practices for organizations that work with children, we will now require all Team Managers to pass a background check to be eligible to register, lead a team or participate in our Affiliate or Global Finals tournaments. These checks must be done each year.
Team Managers must complete their background check by one of the following methods. Please choose the method that most accurately fits the Team Manager’s situation.
- Team Managers who are employed as teachers in Florida may provide us with their Florida Teacher License Number and a photo or scan of their School District ID. Send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Some school systems have background check requirements for their volunteers. Team Managers from those systems may submit a letter from their school principal or administrator stating that they have passed a background check that has been completed or updated during the school calendar year of the start of the current DI season. The background check must include a Social Security trace, Government Watch List Search, 50 State DOJ Sex Offender Registry Search and local criminal history search. The Florida Affiliate Director will confirm whether a school system has qualifying volunteer background check systems in place. Contact email@example.com to receive instructions for submitting this information.
- Some youth-serving companies have background check requirements for their employees. Team Managers from those companies may submit a letter from a company official stating that they have passed a background check that has been completed or updated within one calendar year of the start of the current DI season. The background check must include a Social Security trace, Government Watch List Search, 50 State DOJ Sex Offender Registry Search and local criminal history search. A template is provided for your company to ensure we receive the required wording. The Florida Affiliate Director will confirm whether a company has qualifying volunteer background check systems in place. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive instructions for submitting this information.
- Team Managers may use Sterling Volunteers (formerly Verified Volunteers) for their background check under Florida Destination Imagination negotiated rates of $28 for Complete Level Check. Team Managers will pay for the cost of this Complete Level check, which must be performed every year. Instructions to submit your Background request are here:
- Go to the website: https://app.verifiedvolunteers.com
- Log in/Register through the volunteer portal.
- Select “GET VERIFIED” and enter Good Deed code: (glw2pma)
- Fill out the 4 steps, enter the necessary credit card information (if applicable) and click COMPLETE.
All personal information provided stays with Verified Volunteers and is not shared with Florida Destination Imagination, Inc. If a Team Manager is not cleared to work with students, the Team Manager will be notified that their team cannot participate in the Affiliate/State Tournament or Global Finals competition until a new Team Manager with a passing background check is provided.
Background checks may only be conducted on individuals 18 years or older. Therefore, no one under the age of 18 may be a registered Team Manager.
The following convictions will cause a Team Manager to fail a background check:
- Making a false statement in connection with the background check
- Being a registered or requiring to be a registered on any sex offender registry
- Being convicted of a crime involving felony child abuse
- Being convicted of any crime against or involving a minor at any time in the past
- Being convicted of a violent crimes
- Any felony offenses involving unlawful sexual offenses
- Any felony offenses involving domestic violence
- Any offense that raises concern about the safety of the children
- Receiving multiple convictions, whether felony or misdemeanor
As a volunteer, your privacy rights include:
- Notice and consent prior to the background check.
- Notice of negative information before an adverse action is taken
- A right to receive a copy of the report
- A right to appeal an adverse decision
- Proper disposal of information included in a report.